Thursday, December 23, 2010

For Teachers Who Use Reading Street

        
Retelling An Egg is An Egg

 

Retelling

I’ve been thinking of fun and innovative ways to get my students involved in retelling(My school system uses Reading Street).

This year my own personal action research involves Comprehension Strategies, and retelling is very important  in comprehending text. So I’m thinking about creating a retelling station with activities students can use during Reading Workshop. This is going to be one of my “Have To” weekly assignments all students would have to complete. The first couple of times I’ll work with my students when they come for small group reading instruction on this task. Then I will release responsibility to them.

Directions for Teachers: Laminate the TV mat and the retelling pictures. Cut out the retelling pictures. Make copies of the retelling sheet. I plan to place the activity in a basket labeled “Weekly “Have To” Comprehension Assignment”.

For teachers who use Reading Street I hope you find these useful. I’ve completed all stories for Unit 3  and will work fast to complete the rest of the units(If you would find this type of activity useful). Please let me know your thoughts, would this activity work in your classroom?

 

     

          
Retelling Ruby in Her Own Time

 

 

        
Retelling Jan's New Home

 

 

        
Retelling Frog and Toad

 

            
Retelling I'm a Caterpillar

 

         
Retelling Where Are My Animal Friends

 

Merry Christmas Christmas_bear_5

Ms. Arnold

17 comments:

  1. I love it! It is such a great idea. It makes this series a little more bearable. Thank you!

    Kristen
    http://first-grade-teachers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. I'm working on the rest of the units and will get them posted soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a wonderful idea! I don't use Reading Street but being an ELL teacher I'm always looking for a new way if getting my students to talk more. This can be hard because my students tend to be shy since they are not familiar with English. Now I can have them retell their stories with visuals and guage their comprehention too! Very creative. Thanks!

    Ms. M
    www.msk1ell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them! Thank you so much! I will definitely be using these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing you creative idea. I agree-retelling can be tough for first graders. This should make it more manageable. I also use Reading Street so this will be perfect! SDNana

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you thank you thank you again again and again

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my Good luck that I found your post which is according to my search and topic, I think you are a great blogger, thanks for helping me outta my problem..
    free dissertation samples & examples

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO very happy that I found your wonderful blog!! I came looking for Reading Street resources and loved everything I found. I am moving back to first grade after about 5 years in 2nd grade plus we are using Reading Street for the first time, so I am sure I will be a frequent visitor here :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, how did you do this? I teach Kinder (so ours books are different), can you give me some pointers of how you got these?
    Thanks,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are an amazing teacher and admire your work! When I found your blog I thought I was in heaven! You made Reading Street so much fun and my kiddos loved your activities. I know they will enjoy your retelling activity. Thanks for always sharing!!!
    Mireya
    yayaagu@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mireya thank you so much! :)

    Heidi..I just Googled the word flat screen TV for the pic of the television. If you've ever visited Mrs. Langston's Shutterfly page she's scanned all the retelling pics for first grade so I just copied and pasted them...I'm not sure if she has them done for K.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like such a great way to practice retelling. I can't wait to try it. I love this idea for ELL students.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh....this is wonderful. I'm sad I'm just now finding this. FANTASTIC!!!!! I'm going to start using!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is awesome! However, when I click on download it says not authorized to download this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am new to this blog and just found this wonderful post. I was wondering if the rest of the units have been posted. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your TV station sounds like a great idea. I am going to use it for homework.

    ReplyDelete

Kind words are appreciated here.