Sunday, August 14, 2011

The First Three Days

Well I’m back in the swing of things. The first three days were pretty good. I have 16 lovely first graders, and I think we’re going to have a great year. This week we worked on routines and expectations. My students loved the Marshmallow Toes! Thanks to Kelli at Castles and Crayons! 

Here are some more pictures of my classroom.

IMG_2811      IMG_2814

IMG_2812           IMG_2815

IMG_2818      IMG_2820

IMG_2819    IMG_2821

Ignore the sorting bins for supplies.

 

IMG_2802

 

IMG_2801

My Important Times wall and clock! Thanks to Mrs. Lemons at Step into Second Grade and Lauren at Just Add Clipart.

This year I’ve decided to give each table group a drawer set to keep most of their supplies.

IMG_2804    IMG_2806 

Here are what the labels will look like when I tape them onto the front of each drawer. Anything I label always has a complete sentence…reading is everywhere!!!!

imageimage

imageimage

I think it will help with the Junky Desk Syndrome. Which reminds me…I need to get my Desk Fairy materials ready.

 

IMG_2809

I made this color chart to go along with my theme.

 

I also made some color word poems. I got the poems from KinderKorner’s Website a loooong time ago. If you’d like a copy click on any picture below.

image          image

This week we worked on Making Five. I read this story:

The students got their own cookie jar page along with five cookies. They decided how many cookies they wanted in their jar and how many cookies they wanted out of the jar.

 

IMG_2840

IMG_2841              IMG_2839

IMG_2849

Click here if you’d like a copy of the activity sheet.

Have a great Sunday afternoon! I’ll be back with more fun stuff next weekend.

17 comments:

  1. I just love the color poems! I will be using your cookie jar activity on our fifth day of school...I start back tomorrow. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the freebies! I am going to be using them all for kinders! Wow, only 16 students - do you think that number will go up? I am worrying myself to death over numbers this year! We have 3 kindergarten teachers, but at last count less than 40 enrolled kinders! Unless we get a whole lot more next week, one of us will have to change grades/schools! Of course, we didn't have the usual free backpacks to give away during enrollment, so the theory is that a lot of parents are holding out on registering until the backpacks are in. I am crossing my fingers!

    Jennifer @ Herding Kats In Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Thank you!!
    Your room looks awesome! Hope your listening center is coming along, too!! =)
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  4. your important times are cute! i want to do this.. but just haven't gotten around to it!!

    good luck on a new year!!

    kacey
    Doodle Bugs Teaching
    Doodle Bugs Paper

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE LOVE LOVE the Color Poems!! What a FUN set of resources!! Also LOVE the special time posters-- do you really have lunch at 1040 or was it 1020? That is CrAzY! We are at 11 and I am STARVING at 4! :D

    Awesome!! Thanks for sharing!!
    Sarah Hetrick
    shetrick@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so good!!! You are very creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your room looks great. Your kids are very lucky to have such an interesting room to work and learn in.
    Thanks for the freebies! You are once again so generous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your room looks great. Thanks for the freebies. I'll be using those color poems this coming week. School starts tomorrow and Kindergarten comes on Tuesday.
    Rose
    The Wonderful World of Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the color poems. Man, I wish I only had 16 students. We're at 25-28 per 1st grade class. You're lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the fun activity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for the color poems! I homeschool our children and we do poetry baskets each week, so this is perfect for my little first grader! I love your blog and absolutely love all your ideas. Thank you for sharing. Have a wonderful school year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank- you so much! I just picked up the book "Who stole the cookies from the cookie jar?}"...YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your freebies. I would love to have your your wall clock and your drawer labels. I love your blog and absolutely love all your ideas. Thank you for sharing. Have a wonderful school year!
    Thanks,
    Lawana
    lgurley@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just thought I would tell you that I loved your clocks so much! I linked to them from my blog http://splitmultigradeclassroom.blogspot.com as they promote creating independent learners that is so important in a multigrade class. i also noted Mrs. Lemons contribution. Thanks for sharing.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the freebies! Great ideas for the first week back. I also plan on putting complete sentences on my labels and such around my room. Genius!

    ReplyDelete

Kind words are appreciated here.